How I missed opportunity to collect BET award in person
Nigerian Afro-fusion singer Damini Ogulu, known professionally as Burna Boy, has explained why he failed to collect his BET award in person despite being in attendance at Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles.
Through a tweet, Burna Boy explained that he had stepped out for a moment when he was called out as the winner of the Best International act in 2019.
Sharing the missed opportunity, the On the Low singer narrated that his mother, Bose Ogulu, stepped up and collected the award on his behalf.
“Funny enough I went to get a drink! I would have collected this one,” tweeted Burna Boy.
The songwriter was in the top leagues with South Africa’s Sho Madjozi who won the Best new international act award at the 19th BET Awards.
Eritrean-American rapper Nipsey Hussle who was killed in March this year was posthumously awarded with a humanitarian award and won the Best Male Hip Hop artist category.
Others winners were:
- Cardi B -Best female hip-hop artist
- Bruno Mars - Best male R&B/pop artist
- Childish Gambino -Video of the year:
- Beyonce - Best female R&B/pop artist
- Lil Baby - Best new artist
- Migos - Best group
- Best collaboration: Travis Scott featuring Drake (Sicko Mode).
- Cardi B - Album of the year:
- Ella Mai - Viewers’ Choice award:
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Mary J Blige.
- Ultimate Icon award: Tyler Perry.
- Best actress: Regina King.
- Best actor: Michael B. Jordan.
- Best movie: Blackkklansman.
- Youngstars award: Marsai Martin.
- Sportswoman of the year: Serena Williams.
- Sportsman of the year: Stephen Curry.