Gone too soon! Valerian Njeri buried in emotional ceremony

Gone too soon! Valerian Njeri buried in emotional ceremony

The 16-year-old girl who was last week stabbed and killed by a 17-year-old form three boy was laid rest in her parents’ home in Mirera Naivasha.

A week after the incident, the form two student Valerian Njeri was given an emotional send-off with calls to parents to keenly monitor their children during school holidays.

Tears flowed freely as the student from Mary Leakey High school was interred with speakers pointing an accusing finger to use of drugs for the incident.

Last week, the body of Njeri was found dumped near their home before the suspect who is a form three student was arrested and for the beastly incident.

Speakers eulogized the minor as a hard-working and respectful girl who had a bright future before her life was cut short in the most inhumane way.

Area MCA John Njuguna termed the incident as very painful and regrettable as it involved minors at their most active age.

“We have seen an increase in the use of drugs and alcohol by minors during holidays and its time we tamed this,” he said.

He said that the use of drugs and an addiction to mobile phones could have caused the attack that had left area residents in shock.

“It is a challenge for leaders to start programmes that will have a positive impact on the young people especially the teenagers,” he noted.

Njuguna told mourners that the majority of the young people have been hooked to social media, blaming it for the increasing anti-social behaviours.

His counterpart Karanja Mburu was of a similar opinion, opining the importance of youth-friendly programmes from the grassroots level.

“Leaders and more so parents should reevaluate how they engage with young people as this is a big problem and we must face it head on,” he said.

Former MCA Wanyoike Wanango called for the reintroduction of caning especially in institutions of learning.

“We are dealing with liberal age group that thinks they can do anything and get away with it and its time to act,” said Wanango.

Postmortem reports indicated that the girl died and a result of excessive bleeding and trauma to the head after she was hit with a blunt object.

The Star/ Anthony Gitonga