Embu sink Uasin Gishu to win football title in ill-tempered match

Embu sink Uasin Gishu to win football title in ill-tempered match

Kakamega County football player Glens Simiyu controls the ball on November 17, 2021 during their Kenya Inter County Sports and Cultural Association (KICOSCA) encounter with Lapfund at Nembure grounds, Embu County. Kakamega won 7-0.

Photo credit: Charles Wanyoro | Nation Media Group

Embu County football team beat Uasin Gishu 1-0 in a fiercely contested Kenya Inter County Sports and Cultural Association (KICOSCA) final at Embu Stadium on Friday.

Striker Kennedy Wekesa scored the lone goal in a match that kicked off at 6pm, after being delayed for more than one hour as both sides contested their rival’s credentials.

Uasin Gishu captain Collins Cheseren protested the outcome and said they would file formal complaints with the Kicosca tribunal.

He took issue with the decision to play the match for only 30 minutes and accused Embu of fielding ineligible players.

However, Embu captain Moses Munene celebrated the win, saying the win was credible.

He said they were now focused on playing at the East African tournament which will be played in Eldoret in December this year.

“We were determined to win the trophy and we had vowed that we couldn’t host and then let the cup go. We have fought since the first day. You cannot protest in a final yet Uasin Gishu also contributed to the delay since their documents were not ready,” he said.

However, Uasin Gishu put the disappointment aside to successfully defended the men and women volleyball titles.

The men team had no difficulty in seeing off Kisumu 3-0 (25-14, 25-11, 25-16) to ensure they won their third consecutive title.

The champions who did not drop a set in the tournament played seamlessly, with the smooth combination between Wesley Kirwa, Kelvin Bwely and Wesley Snipes bearing fruits for the Rift Valley side.

Their female counterparts whitewashed Bungoma 3-0 to successfully defend their third straight title at University of Embu grounds.

The team, coached by Kenneth Bitok, took about one hour to register a straight sets victory of 25-14, 25-15 and 25-14.

Hardworking striker Bilha Chepleting was in top form, scoring 14 points in the final with Mercy Chepchirchir, Ruth Mosbei and Rhoda Chepkoech all playing well in the contest.

Bitok said they had an easy task since they had met at group stages where Uasin Gishu beat their opponents 3-0.

“It was an easy task since we knew their style of play. We had studied them and knew when to get them off guard. We had vowed not to concede any set. We had also beaten Murang’a and Samburu by a similar margin,” he said.